Bart the programmable and educational robot
Bart is not just another robot. Bart the robot is fun, and you can use it even as a boom box at your next party or use it as an alarm system in your room or caravan. But that is not nearly what Bart can do. It comes standard with Bluetooth, WiFi and dual-core ESP32 development board.
Bart is a programmable, Internet of things, robotics and electronics educational system. It includes extensive online training of over 50 lessons, support and help systems. It has Bluetooth, WiFi and lots of sensors to make this an ultimate robot and training system.
Barty has the following to say on the Bart website:
“I am bigger than your average run of the mill robot because I am not an ordinary run of the mill robot. I am quality, made of only the best parts available. Even if you do not want to learn about what makes me “tick” I am still a 100% functional robot with more than 20 different and amazing functions that will give you joy for a very long time. But I must give you a word of caution, I just might make you wonder how I work under the hood, and that will hook you to such great extent that you might want to know more, learn more, and you might end up the student and me your trainer.”
The most valuable of all this is the education part of Bart. No matter if you are starting as a beginner or want to learn the details of robotics and IoT, Bart covers all this and much more. It even goes into great detail in protocols like I2C and I2S, covers advanced expander IC’s and teaches how to write a Bluetooth app to control Bart.
- 23 modules of electronics and robotics training
- 2 to 4 lessons per module
- Each lesson consist of many different resources, including videos, step by step lessons, source code and much more.
- More than 150 quiz questions for you to test your knowledge and understanding
- An online forum where the trainers answer your questions and get you unstuck fast
- New modules added monthly with addon boards for new technologies
- ESP32 microcontroller
- Built-in Bluetooth to control Bart from a cellphone
- Built-in WiFi to control Bart via the Internet
- Dual-core (two processors in one)
- Fast speed 80 Mhz
- Lots of space 4M, that is enough to program complete web pages on the MCU
- Uses little power so Bart can run for days on a battery
- 26 input and output pins
- Built-in touch sensors
- Built-in magnet sensor
Sound and microphone
- Two big speakers making your Bart a Boom box, all kinds off sounds and even a siren with the microwave movement sensor
- I2S amplifier module. I2S is the latest in sound technology – we cover it fully
- Supper pro and sensitive I2S microphone so Bart can respond and even record sound
- SD card to store music and recordings
- 2 x Low power consumption, high quality, 500 rpm motors with steel gearboxes
- 2 x Super cool high grip mag wheels at the back and caster wheel for easy turning in front
- Latest technology motor driver IC to control wheels direction and speed
- Easy programming and control of the motors with PWM (control power to the motors)
- Ultrasonic sensor (measures distance) to help Bart to avoid obstacles
- 3 x line tracking sensors to make Bart follow lines
- Light sensitive sensor so Bart knows if it is day or night, lots of fun to program Bart to run away or follow the light from a torch or behave in different ways in day or night
- High technology microwave movement sensor, can even pick up movement behind objects. Program all kinds of behaviours when movement is detected, it can even be used as a stand-alone alarm system in a room or caravan.
- Infrared sensor, Bart can be controlled from a cellphone but also with the included remote controller
- 2 x additional I2C ports to connect other sensors or I2C devices to Bart, you will learn all about I2C in this course
- 7 x Addressable multicoloured LEDs that programmatically be controlled to produce any colour you can imagine, the back lets, for example, can be turned red when Bart brake, lights can flash when obstacles are detected, lights can go on when Bart detects night time and much more.
- 0.96-inch High-resolution OLED screen that can be used as a menu to put Bart in different modes with buttons and encoders mentioned below. Or even see messages or select songs from Bart
- 2 x switch and rotary encoder with an additional switch. A rotary encoder looks like a “volume control” but works in such a way that Bart can pickup the turns when turned clockwise or anticlockwise to do things like scrolling through a menu on the screen
- I2C expander IC for11 extra analog pins
- 2 x digital expander Ic’s for 8 Input/output pins and 16 PWM pins.
- 4600 mAh high-quality lithium power pack with overcharge and under-voltage protection
- Battery charging IC to charge the battery from the USB cable or your cellphone charger
- Mosfet IC’s to detect charging and switch off driver IC’s
- Buck/boost IC to keep power stable to CPU even increase volts to IC when the battery starts to go flat
- Battery saving circuitry to demonstrate battery-saving programming
- Programming is done using the very popular Arduino free software
- Android Bluetooth software that includes training to write own software to program Bart
- Our own Bart library that is open source, this library include many functions to make Bart programming fast and easy. In course we do it both the hard way for educational purposes and the easy way with the library
- An open header pin that can accept all kinds of future boards like GSM, relay and Lora extensions.
- Ability to add bigger screens.
- Mounting holes for add-on body parts etc. to pimp your robot.
- Bart’s brain can be removed to use in other applications.
Web site: https://www.bartrobot.co.za/
Included in this kit:
1 x Bart chassis (include many onboard components and sensors like an IR receiver, light sensor ad much more)
1 x ESP32 development board
2 x back wheels with geared motors
1 x front caster wheel
2 x speakers
1 x microphone (I2S) module
1 x amplifier (I2S) module
1 x Ultrasonic distance sensor
1 x 4600mAH rechargeable battery pack
1 x microwave movement sensor
1 x 96 inch OLED screen
1 x IR remote controller